Do you know why we are so passionate about plant-based lifestyle? Because the nature always provides what’s best for us, or at least most of the time. Colorful variety of plants satisfy our taste buds while providing with proper nutrients. However, while some of our favorite plants and products may do just that, there are a few that can cause allergies and addiction. We are talking about chocolate!
We all know how indulging chocolate is. However, there are some people who suffer from exhausting migraines just from one bite of chocolate. There are some who are sensitive to caffeine too and must avoid it at all costs. Carob powder is a great alternative, and here are a few reasons, why:
1. Since carob is caffeine-free, its not a nervous system stimulant, hence safe for kids and pregnant women. Chocolate is made from cacao beans which abundant in Theobromine, compound that has similar physiological effects to caffeine and doubles the stimulative effect.
2. Carob is free of Tyramine, a byproduct of Tyrosine, an amino-acid that may trigger migraine headaches.
3. Carob powder contains no sodium and no oxalates. Prevalent in cocoa, oxalates reduce your body’s ability to absorb calcium. Carob is high in Calcium itself and fights against the main bone disease, osteoporosis.
4. Carob is high in potassium that is important for muscle and nerve health. Potassium also aids in bone density.
5. Carob is gluten-free, low-fat and has a natural sweet flavor without added sugar, which makes it a new popular ingredient for baking healthier desserts. Besides that, it can help prevent spikes in blood sugar and be a safe dietary choice for diabetics. This is why it is so often used as a replacement for chocolate in various cultures because it also provides protein and fiber that chocolate lacks. This makes carob helpful for people trying to lose weight, without depriving their craving for some chocolate on occasion!
6. Carob has been shown to be highly effective against high cholesterol. Studies have shown that people given carob fiber significantly see a reduction in the blood levels of LDL or bad cholesterol.
7. Pet owners don’t have to worry about their pets stealing a piece of chocolate from the table. Carob doesn’t contain high levels of theobromine, a compound that is toxic to dogs and cats in large quantities.
Give it a try – add carob powder to your smoothies or sprinkle on top of a fresh dessert or ice cream, add some to your dough when baking bread or brownies, and you sure wouldnt resist the hot carob drink either.
Vegan Carob Protein Bread Recipe: